Who are we?
Black Mental Health Connections Montreal emerged following a Black History Month event hosted at McGill University in 2016, where the need for a space to discuss and mobilize around the mental health needs of Montreal’s Black Community was named.
BMHC MTL wants to overcome the stigma of mental health, make mental health services more appropriate and more accessible, promote mental health literacy, and support personal resilience and a more healthy existence for all members of the Black community.
What values guide us?
- Emphasis on bringing our community together;
- Appreciation of our community’s strength and resilience;
- Recognition of the great diversity within our community and commitment to ensuring all members feel they are valued; and
- Belief that community members’ stories reduce the stigma surrounding mental health.
Our Programs and Services
BMHC is currently volunteer run and aims to connect members of the Black community to each other and to programs or services that are made for us. Over the next year, BMHC will be rolling out programming, which will include:
In a support group, people are able to talk with others who are like themselves – people who truly understand what they are going through and can share the type of practical insights that can only come from firsthand experiences. BMHC is working to offer direct support to our community by running monthly in-person support groups and consistent online support groups through various social media outlets.
Through our peer support groups we want to:
- Break the stigma and shame associated with mental illness by sharing and creating space with our community as a whole;
- Create an anti-oppressive, harm reductive space for cathartic release, community building, and skill sharing.
Due to COVID-19, we will be postponing in-person support groups until further notice.
Quarterly Social Meetings
In order to cultivate an atmosphere that breaks stigma and provides support, every 3 months we host a social meeting for our members. Its an informal way to connect and bring our members together to build community.
If you’d like to become a member of BMHC Montreal, please fill out this form.